Aquinas College is an incorporated association under the Associations Incorporation Act 1985 (SA). It is governed by a Council which is appointed by the Archbishop of Adelaide. It operates under a Constitution. The principal roles of the Council are:
- to recommend to the Archbishop people for appointment as College Rector, College Councillors, and Public Officer of the Association;
- to approve the policies and procedures it deems appropriate
- to approve annual budget and financial plans
- to work with the Rector, the Archdiocese and the Marists to shape the strategic directions and priorities of the College
- to exercise all other fiduciary duties it has in law.
The Council operates according to a Memorandum of Understanding with the Australian Province of the Marist Brothers regarding the Marists’ involvement in the College (including the role of Rector), and the Marist spirituality and practice which help to shape the mission and identity of the College.
The Council delegates to the Rector and the Management Team of the College responsibility for its normal management, according to its Delegations of Authority Policy. It provides overview and support for the Rector.
The Member of Council in 2019 are:
Mr Peter Macks (Acting Chair)
Ms Alison Turner
Mr Ray Ridge
Dr Shane Lucey
Ms Catherine Schultz
Professor Christopher Symes
Ms Kylie Schulz
Rev Matthew Newman (from May)
Ms Sarah Moffatt
Delegate of the Provincial (TBA)
The Rector is a non-voting attendee at Council meetings, and is the Public Officer of the Aquinas Association.
The Secretary of the Aquinas Association is Michael Braithwaite who also attends Council meetings and is responsible for the Minutes.
The Council has four Committees:
The Academic Committee. Chair: Dr Shane Lucey. Executive Officer: Dr Sarah Moller
The Student Wellbeing Committee. Chair: Alison Turner. Executive Officer: Mrs Carolyn Mee
The Finance and Audit Committee. Chair: Mr Ray Ridge. Executive Officer: Mr Michael Braithwaite
The Legal and Governance Committee: Chair: Prof. Christopher Symes. Executive Officer: Br Michael